Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Yeasty Beasty....

...I had some problems with the sourdough starter the last 2 days. First off, when the yeast is evident, and it was I am supposed to drain out the fruit. o_O

However I have metal cooking stuff and metal reacts poorly with yeast. No matter! The fruit must be strained.. and since it isn't chunky a metal colander came to the rescue. Last night I drained the yeasty beasty into a bowl via a metal colander and then back into its old jar once the salmonberries were gone.

Now it is a matter of maintaining the Sourdough Starter. Each day I need to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour, or grains, even already cooked grains (like rice) will do. So last night I put in some flaxseed meal, and the day before that, regular all purpose flour.

The batter at this point is supposed to get thicker and rise. I think my starter is a bit of a ways off from that, but it should do this in the next 2 to 3 days, at which point, when it is ready, I will be making some gastronomic nom noms. ;)

As for the rest of this place. I have been walking around the place in the rain picking slugs off my veggies and resting inside. When is the sun coming out for a while????

No comments:

Post a Comment