Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tomato Companion Planting, a.k.a.Tomato Polyculture

I was researching some plant things a little while ago when it occured to me that I need a polyculture for my tomatoes!

Here is the list I am going to try and use this year since they are all companion to tomatoes:

  • Carrots
  • Basil
  • Lettuce
  • Asparagus
  • Borage
  • Celery
  • Chives, Onions, Leeks, Garlic
  • Marigold
  • Dill
  • Scarlet Runner Bean
  • Marjoram & Oregano
  • Nasturtium
  • Parsley (Both flat and curly)
  • Yarrow
  • Parsnips
Many of these plants will provide insects for pollination and to take care of enemy insects that would harm the tomatoes. While I may grow them all together, it is also a good idea to have many of these plants simply near by, or at the base of the tomato plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment