Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Memories of Willie

I am not a fan persey of country music. I grew up with punk, and rap music, an odd mix to some, but it was very NYC in the 80's. From the Ramones and Blondie to Slick Rick & Doug E. Fresh I listened to it all, and it was good.

However, one day, cutting school while my friends were in school I hopped to Downtown Manhatten and hung around the Ed Sulliven theater, right across from the "Miss Saigon" production on Broadway.

It was like any other day in NYC, people doing there thing, people shoved out of buildings in underwear running down the block. Pigeons cooing, and so on, but then I noticed a bus with a giant yellow rose on it, so I started sketching the rose on the bus.

Unknown to me at the time, I was sitting outside Willie Nelson's Bus and he was being interviewed by David Letterman, with the late Senator Sonny Bono. I had gotten up to stick the drawing I did on the doors of the bus when Willie Nelson came up to the door!

In shock, not knowing what to say I handed him the simple drawing, and walked off excited I met a famous star of music and the big screen. At this time of my life this was a huge and major thing to me, and the fact I handed him a drawing of mine, to his hand made it all the better.

All of this was by coincidence. Something I have learned to go with in my life, sometimes not well, but all in all I try very hard to take it in stride. However, something about Mr. Willie Nelson had me thinking last night as I laid awake with insomnia again....

The fight to save family farms isn't just about farmers. It's about making sure that there is a safe and healthy food supply for all of us. It's about jobs, from Main Street to Wall Street. It's about a better America. -Willie Nelson.
Well, if I ever meet Mr. Willie Nelson again, I hope he looks at the work I am doing or have done and gives me a thumbs up. We are all in this together, not just as Americans, but the food issue is now a global one and I can only hope we can work together simply like a teenager handing a drawing to a random person.

No comments:

Post a Comment