Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's Sunday, and the work week is actually never over. When you buy a new home there is always something to do, rain or shine, in sickness our perfect health. Hmm, that sounds vaguely similar.

Well, either way, despite my cold this week I got the permaculture spiral done, met a new friend we named Eddie, and put top soil over my keyhole vegetable beds. Next spring planting vegetables won't be as harried or problematic but more on that in the future.

As for today I planted:

36 Bok Choy (I love Kim Chee and will be making some with this)
12 Daikon radish
6 Siberian Wild Kale
4 Kohlrabi
3 Calendula
15' of Purple Viking Potatoes

I also broadcast sowed a wildflower mix of seeds over the former property owners vegetable garden which was taken apart today. The wildflower mix had in it seeds of Yarrow, English Lavender, Feverfew, Bee Balm, Shasta Daisy, Primrose, Flax, Poppy, Clover and a lot more.

Being that the former vegetable garden is on the edge of my orchard near the path to the lower portion of my property this wildflower mix provides a few extra purposes besides looking nice. It will help revitalize the soil of the old vegetable garden It will attract beneficial insects to the orchard which will in turn balance out the destructive insects in the area. What we are looking for here is balance, which is something in this modern age seems to be a esoteric vice.

I still have pumpkins & other squashes, baby corn, beans and a whole lot more to plant next week depending on weather & visitors. Right now in the seedling trays next to me are herbs & cukes. Out in the mini-greenhouse is artichoke, Lilac, celeriac, and more.

There is always something more to do, I just need to remember to do it in balance else I will burn out & get some kind of exhaustion sickness again. I.E. - Feed the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment