Thursday, April 29, 2010

2 More free plants!

After tending to the garden and writing the blog earlier today I checked Craigslist and found someone was giving away free rhizomes of hops!

Thanks to Bill of Lakeside, I got a rhizome of Cascade hops & 1 Mt. Hood Hops rhizome. Being that I do not know much about making beer at this point other then I know what beers I like and which I don't. So, I did a little research:

Cascade-Domestic-Finishing

Derived from a cross between fuggles and the Russian hop
Serebrianker.

Alpha Acid: 4.5-7% Beta Acid: 4.5-7%
Aroma: Pleasant, flowery and spicy, citrus-like.
Storage: 48-52%
Used For: Good for flavor and aroma, but an acceptable bittering
hop. Ales and lagers


Mount Hood--Domestic--Finishing
Aroma variety with similarities to the German Hallertau and
Hersbrucker varieties, released in the U.S. in 1989.

Alpha Acid: 5-8% Beta Acid: 5-7.5%
Aroma: Mild, pleasant, clean, light, and delicate.
Storage: 50-60%
Used For: Aroma and flavor. American and German ales and lagers.

I found this information here: http://brewery.org/library/Hopprofs0497.html

Personally, I am excited, next year I could be harvesting hops for my own brew! Now the big question, where to put it in the garden!?

No comments:

Post a Comment