Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Someone on Permies.com forums wrote this on June 10th of this year. I loved it so much I quoted it to share.


I moved to another property
and am in the process of turning the whole grass area
into a diversified area for mixed growth of vegetables , flowers, currents.

I cut nothing, have nothing cut so far as of this date in June;
after all, isn't the invention of hay a rather modern invention
long after the era of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire!

And with the winds here would the grass not be wounded by the cuts,
wind that sucks out the water,
diminishes the grass' root growth that turns eventually into soil
after worms and bacteria can live and thereby enrich the ground?

Am I not supposed to preserve as much moisture for as many microbes as possibly?

Very early, long before the grass started growing
I seeded on top of it an experimental "row"of wheat,
another row of oats, then broadcasted a mixture of different clovers,
a mixture of annual/perennial flowers mixed with vegetable seeds, Daikon etc

and to protect the area from drying out, from the nearly continuous winds
I took some dry hay and let it softly float onto this area as a cover,
against wind, seed eating birds, against wind blowing away precious moisture...
as protection against cold nights...

The grass growth developed, if at all,
much slower than seeds of wheat, oats, Phacelia,
but the clovers remain slow as if after sprouting they are waiting for warmer nights and days...

But I let all grass, all "weeds" grow until the end of June and beyond into the fall
so I can see all the spots, wild plants, "weeds" and all areas where growth is "different",
i.e. with lots of dandelions, different grass species...

I also did an other area: put sunflower seeds, wheat and oats on the still not green grass-lawn area,
then floated loosely dry straw on top and covered with a row cover:
against, birds, wind, trap snow and rain to preserve moisture...trap sunshine, warmth.

Again, the seeds do better than the grass itself...

Later in the year I will simply press down other grown grass areas
and cover them with just enough straw to merely weigh grass stalks down,
not exactly to suffocate the grass growth,
but to gently overwhelming grass with mixtures of vegetable-annual/perennial flower-herbs...

AND to trap as many falling leaves... to capture as many leaves from the blowing prairie winds...

some tall grass areas have lodged, fallen over in the wind and rain like some wheat field;
this area, I propose, would have to be planted with potassium producing plants...
like what?

what I do, I would not call it "mulching":
suffocating one type of growth and pushing aside its live-bacteria
solely for some human nutrient utility
is not what I intent to do.

Everything here is forever no-till;
also cut -no weed, cut- no grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment